Dentistry/Bump under tongue

A week ago I noticed this white bump under my tongue. It is somewhat painfuland i was curious what it could be. I am in a monogamous relationship of 6 years and an a 21 year old female

Hillary - first of all relax.  There are many small salivary glands in that area under the tongue.  These glands all bring saliva into the mouth via a small duct (tube).  These ducts can occasionally become blocked and not allow the saliva of that gland come out.  This can produce pressure and pain.  My suggestion is for you to see a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  It might be simple to encourage the duct to reopen, but until then you will be sore.  

In the interim, until you see an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, you should immediately begin warm salt water rinse, concentrated in that area for about 3-4 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  Warm salt water might allow the opening of the duct, but see and oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  If for some reason, you are unable to find one, get back to me, tell me where you live and I will send you names.

I hope the warm salt water helps and you feel better soon.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude