Dentistry/Bump under tongue

Question
Bump
Bump  
A week ago I noticed this white bump under my tongue. It is somewhat painfuland i was curious what it could be. I am in a monogamous relationship of 6 years and an a 21 year old female

Answer
Hillary - first of all relax.  There are many small salivary glands in that area under the tongue.  These glands all bring saliva into the mouth via a small duct (tube).  These ducts can occasionally become blocked and not allow the saliva of that gland come out.  This can produce pressure and pain.  My suggestion is for you to see a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  It might be simple to encourage the duct to reopen, but until then you will be sore.  

In the interim, until you see an oral and maxillofacial surgeon, you should immediately begin warm salt water rinse, concentrated in that area for about 3-4 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  Warm salt water might allow the opening of the duct, but see and oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  If for some reason, you are unable to find one, get back to me, tell me where you live and I will send you names.

I hope the warm salt water helps and you feel better soon.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired