Dentistry/Chipped tooth

Question
I have a slightly chipped tooth, with a very small piece missing. Because it's a little painful to put pressure there and I don't want to break it any more, so I want to fix it.
I heard doctors scrap off the surface though to let the material stick, is that true? I don't want them scraping any more off than there is.

Answer

Yes, they often need to remove some of the enamel to get to a fresh surface to allow the bonding materials to properly hold onto. If this isn't done, then the bonding/repair of the tooth may not stay and can fall off.

Sorry!

Let me know if you need anything further.

Dentistry

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD