Dentistry/Chipped tooth

I have a slightly chipped tooth, with a very small piece missing. Because it's a little painful to put pressure there and I don't want to break it any more, so I want to fix it.
I heard doctors scrap off the surface though to let the material stick, is that true? I don't want them scraping any more off than there is.

Yes, they often need to remove some of the enamel to get to a fresh surface to allow the bonding materials to properly hold onto. If this isn't done, then the bonding/repair of the tooth may not stay and can fall off.

Let me know if you need anything further.

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD

I can answer a range of questions in dentistry, ranging from cosmetic dentistry, fillings, root canals, and comprehensive treatment. Specifically, my fields of interest are in CEREC technology, Invisalign (Invisable braces), and Endodontics (root canals).

Full time practicing dentist in New York City, treating all phases of adult dental needs. Specific focus on Invisalign cases, Endodontic (root canal) treatment, and CEREC single visit restorations.

Schwartz Benjamin, Boczko Fae, McKeon S. Oral Care For The Elderly. Perspectives in Gerontology December 2006

New York University College of Dentistry - D.D.S.
Woodhull Medical Center, 1 year post-graduate residency program - GPR