Dentistry/Cracked Molar

Question
Cracked Molar
My dentist says that I have a cracked molar.   The tooth hurts when I chew on certain foods, but the pain dissipates immediately.  The tooth is sensitive to hot and cold, but the pain goes away immediately.  
Question:  My dentist suggests that I have a crown placed on the tooth.  Even though the tooth has a deep mercury filling, he believes that he could refill the tooth and it would most likely not need a root canal.   He says that only if the tooth hurts after placing a temporary crown would a root canal be necessary.  My concern is that I have several crowns already, and everyone was preceded by a root canal.   If my dentist succeeds in refilling the tooth and fitting a permanent crown, is it likely that the tooth would need a root canal in the future?  If so, the new crown would have to be removed at additional cost.  Would it be best for me to have a root canal first, before getting a crown? Thank you.

Answer
Sounds like your dentist is giving you good advise. If the tooth still bothers you a root canal can be done after the temporary crown is placed. Even if you go ahead and have a permanent crown on the tooth, often a root canal can be accomplished by making a hole in the crown for access to the pulp. Most of the time the crown remains intact without breaking.

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com