Dentistry/infection in previous dry socket

Question
QUESTION: I had a lower wisdom tooth removed over 3 weeks ago, got dry socket a couple of days after, excruciating pain,then it subsided. Now I have a red lump coming up out of the socket, with pain under my ear, like a swollen gland, and throbbing from the socket. Is this an infection> What should I do about it?

ANSWER: Hi Susan,

I am going to recommend the obvious.....Go see your dentist sooner than later.

It sounds like it is probably an infection.  When you see the dentist he/she will probably irrigate and the clean the socket.  Then after that they usually put protective gauze in the socket giving the affected area a chance to heal.

I read on the internet, that it would be ok if you took Aleve or Advil.

Hopefully, you find comfort and relief as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View

QUESTION: Thanks for the answer, however the problem is that the previous hole from the dry socket is now taken up by this red bulge - there's no hole now, just what looks like a solid round bubble of shiny red skin, and a throbbing pain at the back of my jaw - I will definitely see my dentist this week though.

Answer
Hi Susan,

Yes, you are right.  Your question was more directed at the big red bubble emerging from the socket.

I am glad you are seeing your dentist this week.  Please let me know what happens.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble