Dentistry/Tooth sensitivity

The tooth to the left of my front tooth has been having some sensitivity to cold mainly. Yesterday I was having a hi hot coffee and it was a little sensitive. Today it didn't seem to be sensitive to having hot coffee. I have no aches or pains. I feel fine when I eat. I was at the dentist yesterday to get an x Ray of it and she was not sure if it wa a fracture in my tooth or a flaw in the x Ray. Can you offer me any Input?  Oh and I can also feel something (non painful) if I tap on it with my finger

Sorry for the delay. I was out of town and forgot to update my settings.

In regards to your question;
It is very difficult to diagnose this based on that one xray.
Often times teeth can be sensitive due to eating hard foods or clenching/grinding on the teeth. The problem is that the sensitivity only starts a day or so later so it's hard to pinpoint the cause of the problem.

I would recommend a soft food diet for a week or two on that tooth and then to see how it feels. Hopefully, whatever irritated it healed up and the tooth is fine. If however the pain still persists, then additional xrays and testing would need to be carried out.

Let me know if you need anything further!

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD

I can answer a range of questions in dentistry, ranging from cosmetic dentistry, fillings, root canals, and comprehensive treatment. Specifically, my fields of interest are in CEREC technology, Invisalign (Invisable braces), and Endodontics (root canals).

Full time practicing dentist in New York City, treating all phases of adult dental needs. Specific focus on Invisalign cases, Endodontic (root canal) treatment, and CEREC single visit restorations.

Schwartz Benjamin, Boczko Fae, McKeon S. Oral Care For The Elderly. Perspectives in Gerontology December 2006

New York University College of Dentistry - D.D.S.
Woodhull Medical Center, 1 year post-graduate residency program - GPR