I have a cracked tooth. On my bottom back right tooth. I'm waiting for Oral surgeon appointment. I can not take prescription pain medication so I've been taking Motrin and Tylenol along with salt water rinse and applying oral anesthetic. Is it possible to get a burn of some sort on your gums. My gum behind that tooth (where my wisdom tooth would be) are killing me. The only relief I'm getting is with cold water.

Justine -  Of course, without examining you I cannot be sure, but the oral anesthetic can burn the tissues if applied to often.  I would stop it now and only use the Motrin.  I know it may not be enough, but you should do the warm salt water rinses for about 3-4 minutes 4-5 times a day.  That should help calm the area down somewhat.  

Call the surgeon and tell them you cannot wait.  If they cannot get you in, find a different surgeon.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude