Dentistry/Upper Denture Problem

Dr. Tieg, I hope you can help me with this problem. My upper denture  had voids behind the front teeth when it was made 7 years ago, because the impression material had bubbles in it the dentist said and it might have voids, but no cause for alarm. Years later I moved out of town and told my new dentist of all the pain because it was too thin, so I got a reline two years ago. Well, that lasted 6 months, so last year  a different dentist said you need a rebase, but I do no use a lab just one guy. Well he must of just gave me a reline, because this also had the smiley face markings on it, and I don not think it should of had that if it was a rebase. Now. I am still in pain, so what should I do? Demand a new dentist to make sure I get a rebase? Everyone of the former dentist said the teeth are good and I do no new one. Thank You

Donna -  this is a difficult question for me to answer without seeing how the denture fits in your mouth.  With the problems you have gone through, I think the best solution is to see a different dentist for an evaluation and a rebase.  

I'm sorry I can't give you more details, but I would have to see the denture and how it sits in your mouth for a definite solution.  So ask around and see a dentist recommended by people you know.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude