Dentistry/Wisdom teeth & Facial aesthetics

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dr. Finnk,

I got my wisdom teeth extracted a few years ago and since then think I've noticed facial changes. (Along with many others on the Internet from my research) I have now had 2 dentists tell me this is accurate; one claiming the manibular angle changes, bone remodeling occurs, and Korean women commonly get them out for skinner faces, the other claiming there will be a change in profile and possibly a slight collapse of the face. I am mortified..but not all that surprised, as whenever humans mess with nature we usually end up getting ourselves into trouble and realize the error of our ways within a century or so (tonsil/appendix removal etc.). What I'm wondering, is what the best way would be to fix this issue? Right now I'm strongly considering dental implants in hopes of regenerating the bone/restoring fullness..what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks so much for your time and expertise,

Tory

ANSWER: Dear Tory,

My advice is don't mess with mother nature.  I'm giving you this advice based on your own belief that you shouldn't mess with nature.

In order to give you more advice than this, I would need to see before and after photos, both full face and profiles.  My experience is that you will see much more facial change with weight loss or gain than with wisdom tooth extraction.  I have never seen noticeable facial change after healing from wisdom tooth extraction.

QUESTION: Hi again,

I can definitely send you photos, but if possible, could you reset my question to private before I do so? (Sorry don't see the option to do that here) And I agree the implants wouldn't be natural, but they would be the closest thing to getting my real teeth back. I know you haven't seen pictures yet, but in your opinion, do dental implants on other teeth like the 2nd molars restore the face?

Thanks so much,

Tory

ANSWER: The further back in the mouth that teeth are removed, the less effect they have on facial features.  Loss of first molars can cause the cheeks to visibly sink in over time, and this is done in some cultures for "facial improvement".   If you look at models, many of them have hollow cheeks and prominent cheekbones.  They get this from their underweight, rather than from tooth loss.  But this is considered esthetic even in our culture.  Loss of front teeth will cause the lower face to sink inward.  This causes most people to look much older than they are.  You will not see this with the loss of wisdom teeth.  And I doubt you will see improvement with implants and crowns.

If there was this concern before your wisdom teeth were removed, why were they removed?

QUESTION: I think I was just young and naive, and everyone was getting them out freshman year of college so I just went along. I'll always regret not doing my research and questioning authority. Do the wisdom teeth have some effect on your face though? Like could they presumably hold up the facial muscles/make the face fuller? And maybe there's no correlation, but do you see improvements with 2nd molar replacement with implants? Thanks so much for your replies.

Tory

Answer
I see no change in facial features with second molar replacement.  In fact, if a patient needs to have a second molar removed, and they ask me "how will I replace it?"  I tell them to wait for healing, and if they miss it after one month, come and ask me then.  To date, I have not had one patient ask for it to be replaced.  And no noticeable facial change.

How long ago were your wisdom teeth removed?

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO