Dentistry/amalgam

Question
hi sir,
recently i have to replace a amalgam restoration as it was underfilled,done many years ago..in lower first molar...i remove old amalgam then redo it....patient complain of senstivity to hot and cold after that....
i check for high points...but no improvement occur..
then i replace amalgam with temporary...no improvement occur!!!
patient self-medicated cefadroxil and brufen then he was relieved....
what happened to him???

Answer
Sometimes operative procedures can create a pulpitis. Luckily in your patients case it was reversible.  When I do remove fillings I try to use gentle hand pressure and copious water to keep the tooth cool. These two steps seem to help lesson the likelihood of my patients developing a pulpitis.

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com