hi sir,
recently i have to replace a amalgam restoration as it was underfilled,done many years lower first molar...i remove old amalgam then redo it....patient complain of senstivity to hot and cold after that....
i check for high points...but no improvement occur..
then i replace amalgam with improvement occur!!!
patient self-medicated cefadroxil and brufen then he was relieved....
what happened to him???

Sometimes operative procedures can create a pulpitis. Luckily in your patients case it was reversible.  When I do remove fillings I try to use gentle hand pressure and copious water to keep the tooth cool. These two steps seem to help lesson the likelihood of my patients developing a pulpitis.

Lawrence Spindel DDS,

Cosmetic Dentistry, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry, Comprehensive Dental Care

Former Clinical Instructor of Comprehensive Dentistry, and Prosthodontic Department New York University School of Dentistry. Also former instructor of Preventive Dentistry Columbia University School of Dentistry.

Ask Dr Spindel Dental Blog also numerous articles on (over 100 pages of original content)

1980 DDS New York University College of Dentistry 1981 GPR Manhattan VA Hospital

OKU 1980 Honor Society 1980 Long Island Academy of Odontology award for highest combined Academic and Clinical Achievement.
In 1997 he was elected to Fellowship into the International Academy for Dental Facial Esthetics