You are here:

Dentistry/broken post in root canal


QUESTION: I am 73 years old and have all my teeth  I have a broken post in my
root canal that is 23 years old and was told to have the tooth removed
I think a repair if possible would be better than a bridge or implant
Would this be possible

ANSWER: Hi Gloria,

I'm sorry you are having this problem. It is really not possible to repair the post, but sometimes it can be removed and a new post placed. Without being able you exam you and see your x-rays, I really can't tell you if your situation would allow a new post to be placed.

I would suggest that you ask for an examination by an endodontist, who would be the one to remove the post. That would also make sure there are no problems with the root canal which would be good before you go to the time and expense of getting a new post and crown.

Hope this helps.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: I was never told that a  post could be replaced  Do you think it would be possibe
I don't want to have a implant or a bridge  Thank You

Hi again Gloria,

Like I said, you would need to have an evaluation by an endodontist or someone who is able to remove posts. In my office we do this fairly routinely, but it depends on a number of factors so really you need to be examined.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD


I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.


25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.

©2017 All rights reserved.