Dentistry/cracked molar

I went to dentist today for 6 month Check up/cleaning.  They found a cracked molar.  This molar had been filled previously.  The took a pic. Of crack and showed me.  The crack runs from the top of the tooth straight down to the bottom.  It causes me no pain.  Dentist said she wants to fill it, but its possible later I may have to get a crown.  I have been researching online, and wonder if I shouldn't be getting a crown.  Is just filling a good decision?

I have to leave that decision up to your dentist.  Only she knows the extent of what she saw, as well as the strength of the materials she uses.

Fillings today are bonded to the enamel, some with greater strength than your tooth's underlying dentin.  It is possible to bond two pieces of tooth together with bonding material and have them hold together as long as the tooth itself holds together.

Many years ago, I broke a back tooth, and I knew it would need a crown.  My friend the dentist said "Let's build it up with bonding for now, and you'll come back another time and get a crown."  That was over 20 years ago, and his bonded filling is still there and working.  No crown.

I think your dentist is being very conservative both with your tooth and with your funds.  I would trust her judgment.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.