Dentistry/Dental Bridge

Question
My LL 2nd molar (#7) is too short to retain a dental crown which comes off all the time, whereas my LL 1st molar has sufficient height and is fitted with a dental crown. I am thinking, apart from using crown lengthening surgery on my LL 2nd molar, is it viable to remove the crown of my LL 1st molar and install a bridge on my LL 1st molar and  my LL 2nd molar ?  

But as I understand, the part of a tooth above gum line must have sufficient height in order to retain a dental crown. Does the same apply to each abutment tooth of a bridge, in my case, namely my LL 1st molar and my LL 2nd molar ?  

Besides, will removing a crown break the crown and the tooth it covers ?

Answer
Dear Dorothy,

While it may help to splint these two teeth in order to achieve more retension it doesn't guarantee that the splint will be retained by your second molar. Even bridge abutments can separate from their bridges if their preparation in non retentive.

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com