Dentistry/Dental Bridge

My LL 2nd molar (#7) is too short to retain a dental crown which comes off all the time, whereas my LL 1st molar has sufficient height and is fitted with a dental crown. I am thinking, apart from using crown lengthening surgery on my LL 2nd molar, is it viable to remove the crown of my LL 1st molar and install a bridge on my LL 1st molar and  my LL 2nd molar ?  

But as I understand, the part of a tooth above gum line must have sufficient height in order to retain a dental crown. Does the same apply to each abutment tooth of a bridge, in my case, namely my LL 1st molar and my LL 2nd molar ?  

Besides, will removing a crown break the crown and the tooth it covers ?

Dear Dorothy,

While it may help to splint these two teeth in order to achieve more retension it doesn't guarantee that the splint will be retained by your second molar. Even bridge abutments can separate from their bridges if their preparation in non retentive.

Lawrence Spindel DDS,

Cosmetic Dentistry, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry, Comprehensive Dental Care

Former Clinical Instructor of Comprehensive Dentistry, and Prosthodontic Department New York University School of Dentistry. Also former instructor of Preventive Dentistry Columbia University School of Dentistry.

Ask Dr Spindel Dental Blog also numerous articles on (over 100 pages of original content)

1980 DDS New York University College of Dentistry 1981 GPR Manhattan VA Hospital

OKU 1980 Honor Society 1980 Long Island Academy of Odontology award for highest combined Academic and Clinical Achievement.
In 1997 he was elected to Fellowship into the International Academy for Dental Facial Esthetics