Dentistry/Dental Implants and Dentures

Dear Dr. Howard Finnk,
    First of all let me offer you my heart felt Thanks for what I am reading here and how your endeavor to find help for those who are in need of help. First let me say I am ashamed that after taking care of myself for the first 46 year with being able to pay for my dental care. in 2004 I lost my job to long haul trucking then in 08 I became disable and it has been going down hill since then.
    In 2008 I was able to get 4 implants in my upper jaw and denture too. I have what they call Perth Disease, (OR Perthy's Disease) Since then I have had 17 surgeries having something to do with this disease, before each surgery they give me 2 horse pill (antibiotics), SO if the infection won't get to my hips. As you know that kind of infection is not good for any diabetic person.
     I have been looking for dental care for myself here in Idaho even have some friends who I have gone to church (LDS,Mormons) and they refuse to help me get this look at, even ask to do a payment plan but they turn me away, Even went to the ISU Collage of Dentistry here in Pocatello, even just to get the last 11 teeth pulled to keep the infection back. I have tried to pull these teeth myself but too no avail can't get them out. If you can help as the least point me to the direction so I can get these teeth looks at. I need dentures and implants. I have even ask the dental Clinic at the VA Hospital in Salt Lake City,Utah, I was told it almost take a act of Congress, This is very sad. I am worried that if these teeth get infected and it gets to my hips then my already bad health I fear that it will push me close to the end. I am sorry if I am rambling ON, But I am so frustrated with this issue, so any thing you can do to point this single father of 2 teenage boys please help. thanks for you time in this matter

Dear Anthony,

I am sorry to hear of your plight.  It bothers me that both the dental school AND the VA do not offer to help.  Are you a veteran?  If so, the VA should be doing all your dental care for you at no charge.  I just had dinner last night with a Vietnam Vet who was having dental work done at the VA in Miami.  At no charge to him.

If you are not a vet, and the closest dental school refuses to treat you, the first place to turn is your county Social Services department.  All states differ in how they handle dental care.  But if you qualify, most states will cover extractions under your state's Medicaid provisions.

If this does not work, then in most states there are State or County dental clinics that will care for you at little or no cost.  Again, contact your county or local Social Services department.

If this does not work, find a dental hygiene or dental assisting program near you.  These are usually located at nearby community colleges.  Often they will provide extractions at little or no charge.

If this does not work, contact your local or state Dental Association.  Often, they will have a list of dentists or access to facilities that might treat you.

I hope this helps.  Please let me know what you've learned so I can share it with others in circumstances similar to yours.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.