You are here:

Dentistry/Dental treatment: unusual body reactions


While living in Tulsa, OK, a few years ago, I visited a dentist who filled a few root canals and placed a dental cap on one of my teeth. After I moved to Boston, MA more than two years ago, I began noticing unusual body reactions (I refer to them as unusual because I am a very healthy male person in my 40s, who had not experienced something like this before and, throughout my life time, treated by dentists only) related to that dental work, such as:

- mechanical vibrations in the area of a tooth cap, happening out-of-nowhere, without any perceivable cause (the cap and tooth themselves sit very firm, but when this mechanical vibrations occur, it feels like vibrations of any baby toy with a motor inside);
- deeply cutting tongue with teeth while eating (as if "something" continue holding the tongue between teeth when jaws are closing instead of letting it return to its normal position), resulting in bleeding, strong pain, and headaches; unusual pricking in the heart and prostate when I read something very familiar or related to my bio on electronic devices (pc, cell phone, etc.); unusual spasms in the head area happening when I talk to certain people and resulting in headaches afterwards (and felt like "controlled" headaches, because they stop as unpredictably as they begin); and hands and legs jerking (as if I am hit by electric current), which especially dangerous when happen during road crossings and cause to stumble;
- subcutaneous contractions in the areas of face (corners of mouth and eyes, cheeks, etc.), fingers, limbs - again, when I read something very familiar or related to my bio on electronic devices.

Another ugliest part of the issue is that, when I visited about 10 dental clinics in Boston, MA for the period of two years while it is going on (including the clinic at Harvard university and the clinic of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital), I didnít hear much useful information. Some told they had never met anybody with the similar problem before; others suggested to have neurological diagnostics (but I donít believe that consulting a neurologist will be useful, since, had the problem been caused by neurological deviation, the described body reactions would have been random; to the contrary, they are not; for example, tongue biting can happen only in response to eating a certain brand of snack, or leg jerking - only in response to crossing a certain road in a certain place; or certain subcutaneous contractions of face - only in response to opening a file, page, paragraph, which number is equal to my month or day of birth, on cell phone or pc); and others gave vague indirect responses, not allowing to identify the source of the problem precisely.

I think there is something alien within my teeth (as I already mentioned, only dentists could do this, since they have been the only doctors treating me so far), that could end up there either with a dental cap or during filling of root canals. And that something, or electronic device, is probably a kind of electronic device, able to receive certain signals and influence nerve endings to induce the described body reactions (I remember a dentist inserted very thin and about 1-inch long wires, while working on root canals; and such a wire, if connected to nervous paths, can certainly play a role of conductor, allowing electrical impulses/signals/shocks from a device to travel along nervous paths, inducing the described reactions). Also, I found a few articles in Internet describing the usage of somewhat similar technologies for electric brain stimulation. So I guess that, without even being asked for consent in any form, I have become a part of some experiments in this area of neurology.

Summarizing, I want to get it removed; however, since none of the dentists with whom I had appointments told me precisely what the source of the problem is, I have to guess and make a decision on my own. So I decided to begin with getting the dental cap removed. Is there anything else I need to know, which may be helpful for me? And if you have heard about and/or treated similar cases, what would be your advice?
Thank you.

Andrei -  Of course, without examining you I cannot be completely sure, but from your descriptions of what has occurred since the fillings were placed and the cap cemented, it sounds like you have developed a bite imbalance, with subsequent other negative bite stimuli.  The course of symptoms and feelings you have endured sound like they are secondary to a complete bite imbalance.  With an imbalance, the jaw muscles soon begin to go into spasm causing secondary effects of headaches, a jerking of the body's muscles, not necessary of the jaw or neck but elsewhere in the body.  You are probably too young to remember, but an old saying in a song of the 1950's states, "the hip bone is connected to the shin bone, the shin bone is connected to the foot bone, etc). Well that is actually is a response when muscles in one portion of the body cause spasms of adjacent muscles, which likewise cause spasms to adjoining muscles.  This cascade of muscular response can produce many of the same symptoms you describe.

The first this that should be done is to make sure that you have a balanced and even bite.  With that change, the muscles will very gradually reduce their spasming and many of the symptoms you have described with slowly resolve.  There will be additional bite adjustments as each group of muscles relaxes and alters how the teeth come together.  It seems weird that the teeth can cause this, but the bite created from the upper and lower teeth coming together is a natural foundation for the jaw muscles, the neck muscles and many more.  The teeth coming together are the only complete foundation that is stable in the human body.  If the foundation of a building becomes unstable, the building soon begins to crumble and crash to the ground.

You need to see a skilled doctor who is well versed in occlusion. There are many dentists in many areas who are not skilled at this, but there are some, usually associated with a dental school who know the fundamentals of a proper occlusion and should help you improve.  If you now live in or near a large city, see if there is a dental school nearby and contact the school and ask to be examined by a specialist there in occlusion.

I wish you well and hope you can find a doctor to help you near where you live.  If for any reason you cannot find one, you can get back to me, tell me where you live and I will attempt to find an appropriate doctor and facility near you.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

Awards and Honors
National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]