Dentistry/Dentures, bone shaving

Question
I have several problems with my teeth and am at a point where I am seriously considering complete dentures. I have been told that in order to have the bottom dentures fit properly, I will have to have oral surgery to shave down some bone on the lower jaw.  Several people that I have spoken with that have dentures were confused as to why this was needed as I was when I first heard this.  It sounded to me like it was just a money-making procedure.  Can you shed some light on this subject?

Thank you

Answer
Dear Stephen:
I am sorry to hear that you have lost hope with your natural teeth.  Dentures, no matter how good, are unfortunately, a poor substitute.  It is best to keep your teeth. However, a denture is the best option in many instances.
The fact that the people you have spoken to have never heard of bone shaping surgery, called Osteoplasty, means very little.  It is performed commonly.
Many times, after teeth are removed, the bony architecture under the gums is irregular and jagged.  This type of configuration can result in many sore spots with the dentures and difficulties in wearing them.
If this is the case with your mouth, then the advice you have received from the dentist is actually prudent, helpful, and will result in a much better denture-wearing experience.
As always, prior to having any work done I always advise to go and see the expert on the subject.  A prosthodontist, the specialist in restorative cosmetic and implant dentistry, will be able to evaluate your mouth and let you know if you really need surgery, or a denture that can be made to fit you properly without the surgical procedure.  The denture made by a prosthodontist will probably be more expensive, as most specialty services are, but you might be able to avoid the surgical procedure and end up with a better denture.
Www.gotoapro.org will have a link to a prosthodontist near you.
Best of luck,

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.