Dentistry/removable dentures

Question
I need to replace a missing upper tooth (which is bordered by an implant and a crown. I don't want to get an  implant, + a crown's not an option.) Years ago I had a metal removable metal denture, but it hurt the roof of my mouth. (Please note: it was one solid upper piece,  not the 2 metal strips I've seen recently, which could allow the taste buds to be unencumbered + taste food). Since my previous experience with metal was unsatisfactory (so painful I did not wear it, nor was it ever adjusted satisfactorily...eventually I got an implant for that area.) I now think to try the flexible plastic removable denture. I need to get more input + feedback as to whether this would be more comfortable for me. Please advise me of patients' responses as well as your own opinion, if possible, as to the less painful option for daily wearing: metal or flexible plastic removable denture.

Answer
Dear susan,

Nothing is like your own tooth and root.  Having lost that, the next best thing is an implant and crown.  Since you don't want an implant, then next best thing is a cemented bridge which replaces the missing tooth by attaching it with crowns to your adjacent teeth.

If you want something removeable, then a flexible will most likely be more comfortable for you.  And the flexible is a bit more attractive than the metal with acrylic.  On the other hand, for some reason, flexibles, as they are made now, are difficult to adjust and polish.  So if they do not fit well at first, your dentist will have some difficulty adjusting it.  Acrylic and metal partials are usually much easier to adjust.

My patients are divided about 50/50 on which they like better.  If they have gotten used to metal/acrylic, they usually do not like flexible.  And vice-versa.  If a first partial, most patients seem to like the flexible better.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO