Dentistry/root canal treatment and tooth filling

Question
I had root canal treatment(april 7,2015) and tooth filling(may 6,2015) on neighbouring tooth on front tooth. Until now, i feel dull pain,lingering pain and sometimes sharp pain on treated tooth and i dont know which one caused it. The tooth which treated root canal treatment is severely dammage(quite big dammage)before I went to dentist.can you please help me about this? Is this normal and which cause the pain?

Answer
Hi Monaliza and thanks for your question.

I am sure you can appreciate the danger and difficulty of me giving you a definitive answer without having the privilege of examining you personally together with the necessary diagnostic tools.

What I can advise you to do is to either return to the dentist who treated you or get a referral to see an endodontist, who specializes in root canal treatments. Although the nerve has been removed from the root treated tooth, there could be several reasons why you might still be experiencing pain from this tooth, which include:
1. some viable nerve still left in the root canal of the tooth
2. latent, chronic infection
3. leakage of the root canal sealant and/or filler used in the root canal.
4. leakage of the filling itself
5. root and/or crown fracture of this tooth
6. additional canals and therefore nerve tissue present in this tooth...and many more.
the integrity of this root canal treatment should therefore be evaluated and assessed with the necessary X-rays and diagnostic tests.

Additionally, the recently filled tooth must be fully inspected and inspected in the similar fashion, together with vitality testing on the tooth.  This will determine whether the nerve within the tooth is still alive, dead or in the process of dying. Vitality testing should include heat, cold and electrical testing and the results examined to rule out non-vitality or any internal process in the tooth which could be eliciting your pain. It is often very difficult to determine which tooth is the cause of dental pain, especially if the teeth are adjacent to each other, but through a process of careful elimination and thorough diagnosis, the root cause will emerge. Bear in mind also, that the pain in one tooth might purely be a co-incidental occurrence and not directly related to the recent site of treatment, which would require a detailed examination to rule out.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best in resolving your pain speedily, take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)