Dentistry/Rotting beneth the gumline

Question
I am 45 this year, I have maintained little to no preventative dental care throughout life and have had little to no problems until about 5 years ago. Let's start by saying I am extremely.....well probably the most extremely afraid of the dentist chair person I have known in my lifetime. Is there a phobic word for it? But I can not even get myself into a dentist chair. Anyway, after taking a number of years worth of methadone doses, my teeth have started to rot and break off leaving the root and rest of the tooth under the gum, over the past view days I have been kept awake by extreme pain and burning sensations in the area. There seems to be deep indentations in the gum and I really do not know what to do. I live in Canada, no dental coverage and again have a major phobia about dental procedures of ANY kind...... what is my best course of action? This burning sensation/pain is driving my to the brink of insanity and possible mental breakdown if I don't get sleep soon.......
Respectfully;

R.S. Metcalfe
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Answer
Dear Scott.
I am sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately, there are many people who are dental phobic. You are not alone and your struggle with substance abuse does not help. Again, you are not alone and the common name for what you are suffering is called “meth-mouth”. It is unfortunate but at this point, the best advice that I can give you is to find a dentist who can help you get rid of all your infected teeth and deliver dentures and later on, as your finances permit, proper implant restorations. Unless you find a dentist that can work with you on stabilizing, and normalizing your fear, all of this would be moot. I am sorry that this is all I can give you and I wish you the best of luck.  

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.