Dentistry/Sinus Lift Both Sides

Question
Dr. Tieg, I recently asked you a question about my thinning front part of upper ridge from denture wearing. I went to an oral surgeon who has three degrees, and he said my upper bone, on the CT show's hardly any bone, so I need a sinus lift both side, and several months later implants. He explained everything, except, will the surgery fill in the front part of my thinning ridge? I have to put adhesive in the void, so I can eat with the denture. He talked so fast and was in an extreme hurry, so busy. I am putting in a pre-determination for insurance. Also, he said I would have to have a series of x-rays, and I would have to be knocked out for that, but how, I do not know! Any opinion appreciated. Thanks

Answer
JoAnn -  I have seen and heard of similar problems.  The doctor will not actually be adding bone to the ridge.  What he plans, is to actually add bone above the ridge into the sinus.  This approach will add enough bone to inserts implants and they will be stable, because the bone in the sinus will compensate for the loss of the bone in the mouth.  It should be fine and a denture placed on these should be stable, as long as the bone is allowed to sit for about 6 months for the bone to allow a proper amount of density for the implants to be very stable.  

If the surgeon is a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon, he should be trained properly to know the proper positioning of the bone to allow stable implants.  I wish you well.  It is important for you to be patient and allow the time for all to heal.  

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired