Dentistry/Crowns over root caneled teeth

Question
Had root canals on teeth 2 and 3.  Dentist did temporary crowns for both.  Permanent crowns for theses teeth were too big so dentist drilled 2 and 3 again to make crowns fit.  Crowns/gum line is sore  between 2 and 3. Should the dentist have re-molded for new crowns or was he correct in making the teeth fit the crowns?

Answer
Hi Jeffrey,

I am guessing that no expert on Allexperts could not answer your question without a physical evaluation.  That's why this question was tossed into the question pool.

Maybe the original root canals were too small for those crowns to fit.  I bet dentists would error on the side of making that space on the smaller side.  It would be easier to make the hole bigger, then to go the other way and reduce the size of the space.

On the flip side of the coin, I would hope your dentist believed that the crowns were correct......and NOT because he did not want to have the lab redo the work into a smaller size.  Getting those crowns to be just right and having your teeth close properly is very precise work.  He probably did not want to compromise the crown or your bite by changing the shape of the crown.

Maybe a lot of things.  If your gums are sore, have him look at you again.  Try to stay away from additional tinkering with the gums.  As a longtime patient, I have found that a conservative approach is usually best.

Jonathan
PatientPOV

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble