Dentistry/Oral Issues After Gargling With Betadine

Hello, I dont know if this is the right place to ask this but I am very concerned about my oral/tounge health. I have had a sore throat for a long time and read Betadine(Povidone-iodine) is good as a gargle. So I went ahead and bought some and gargled. After that my tounge feels dry, mildy stinging/tingly, metallic taste, and my taste buds have been affected as well. I can barely taste. I just wanted to ask if its possible all these symptoms will go away in time. Is there anything I can apply to the tounge to alleviate these symptoms? Did I mess up my mouth and taste buds forever? I'm really worried. Any advice would be truly appreciated.

sorry about the delay in answering your question.
If you stopped the betadine rinse ,
By now you should be almost totally back to normal.
If not I would try some warm salt water, 3 times a day.
If no benefit, see an doctor for a more thorough exam.
My belief is that if the problem is still going on it is not due to the betadine, and the onset of your symptoms may be coincidental with the taking of that unusual mouthwash.
All the best,
Dr. Moss

Stephen J. Moss

I am a professor emeritus at New York University, with a background that includes extensive research, scientific writing and biology. I also am an international consultant in health education, particularly in developing education on new science for health professionals and consumers. I am a past president of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, former head of the NYU Division of Oral Biology and I represent the World Dental Federation at the United Nations. I travel around the world to provide health education to professionals and consumers.

Having retired from New York Universit, where I directed the pediatric dentistry training program, a walk-in dental clinic and research on oral biology, I formalized my professional and consumer health education initiative in the form of Health Education Enterprises. This entity consults and provides information on new science pertaining to oral and general health, particularly leading edge concepts that can be employed in the health professions to improve the public's health. As such, I am an expert in communicating new science and its usefulness to professional and lay audiences alike. I also had a pediatric dentistry practice in New York City for nearly 30 years.

I am affiliated with the American Dental Association, the World Dental Federation, the International Association of Pediatric Dentistry and the American Association of Pediatric Dentistry among other formal organizations. My experience has included a research fellowship at the National Institutes of Health and work at the Forsythe Dental Research Center

lpha Omegan USA, Nowa Stomatologia Poland, Journal of Public Health Dentistry, The Journal of the Southeastern Society of Pediatric Dentistry USA, News Bulletin Japan, Journal of Marmara University Dental Faculty Turkey, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry Italy, Asian Dentist Singapore, The Journal of the Israel Dental Association Israel, ROBRAC Brazil, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry
Italy, FDI World, STOMA Portugal, Pediatric Dentistry The Philippines, Modern Stomatology Bulgaria, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry India

I obtained a doctor of dental science (DDS) degree, a master of science degree and am a board certified pediatric dentist.