Dentistry/Oral Problems After Gargling Betadine

Hello, I dont know if this is the right place to ask this but I am very concerned about my oral/tounge health. I have had a sore throat for a long time and read Betadine(Povidone-iodine) is good as a gargle. So I went ahead and bought some and gargled. After that my tounge feels dry, mildy stinging/tingly, metallic taste, and my taste buds have been affected as well. I can barely taste. I just wanted to ask if its possible all these symptoms will go away in time. Is there anything I can apply to the tounge to alleviate these symptoms? Did I mess up my mouth and taste buds forever? I'm really worried. Any advice would be truly appreciated.

Arnold - Betadine can definitely cause what you are experiencing.  The best thing you can do, to reduce the affect on your taste buds, is to perform warm salt water rinses a few times a day.  It can take a number of days until a reduction of the symptoms you describe.   I wish you well and hope you regain your normal sensations soon.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude