Dentistry/Stannous Fluoride

I asked another dentist on allexperts this question, and was told he couldn't answer it (Don't most dentists know about Stannous Fluoride??). My question was, I bought Sensodyne's 'repair and protect' that contains stannous fluoride; I saw a study that showed it's more effective than potassium nitrate for teeth sensitivity. I only used it 3 times, but when it initially contacts those sensitive spots, the shooting pain is off the charts and then it calms down after I start brushing. I planned on continuing with it for about a week to see if my teeth get used to it, but is this normal?  Thanks

There is no harm in using this product. The tubules in your tooth are apparently very sensitive to brushing and the flouride is getting into the tubules. Eventually this sensitivity may go away if you use the product. The idea is that the flouride product will cause the tubules to become plugged and your sensitivity should be diminished.

Lawrence Spindel DDS,

Cosmetic Dentistry, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry, Comprehensive Dental Care

Former Clinical Instructor of Comprehensive Dentistry, and Prosthodontic Department New York University School of Dentistry. Also former instructor of Preventive Dentistry Columbia University School of Dentistry.

Ask Dr Spindel Dental Blog also numerous articles on (over 100 pages of original content)

1980 DDS New York University College of Dentistry 1981 GPR Manhattan VA Hospital

OKU 1980 Honor Society 1980 Long Island Academy of Odontology award for highest combined Academic and Clinical Achievement.
In 1997 he was elected to Fellowship into the International Academy for Dental Facial Esthetics