Dentistry/Front Teeth Root Canaled/Non-Capped

Dear Sir,
Approximately 24 years ago i had my front teeth knocked to the roof of my mouth in an accident. I had a root canal done with no crowns/caps. The teeth were always dark, and although it was embarrassing, i lived with it. Now, at age 56, after having my routine cleaning, the dentist (a new one that claims he did not know my teeth were root-canaled until i told him) says both front teeth have cavities at the front gum-line. So, in a few weeks he says he will fill them, but since my teeth have visible cracks, and always have had-like a puzzle!-it is a mystery how this will happen without my teeth cracking off. Then, there will be nothing to work with in terms of a crown, if that were an option money-wise. On the other hand, there will be nothing to work with if they are rotting, although they look the same to me as they always have. I realize you cannot make a judgement call without seeing the teeth, but any advice you can give is very much appreciated! Thank you very much for your time.

If your teeth are decayed then the decay must be removed. If your tooth structure is weakened afterwards then you should find a way to save up and have the teeth crowned. If they have abfractions ( a defect without decay) usually restorations will not weaken the teeth significantly. If you are still unsure of what to do,  why not seek a second opinion from a different dentist before making a decision?

Lawrence Spindel DDS,

Cosmetic Dentistry, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry, Comprehensive Dental Care

Former Clinical Instructor of Comprehensive Dentistry, and Prosthodontic Department New York University School of Dentistry. Also former instructor of Preventive Dentistry Columbia University School of Dentistry.

Ask Dr Spindel Dental Blog also numerous articles on (over 100 pages of original content)

1980 DDS New York University College of Dentistry 1981 GPR Manhattan VA Hospital

OKU 1980 Honor Society 1980 Long Island Academy of Odontology award for highest combined Academic and Clinical Achievement.
In 1997 he was elected to Fellowship into the International Academy for Dental Facial Esthetics