Dentistry/tooth sensitivity

Question
I've always had bad tooth sensitivity due to gum erosion and recently it's gotten worse (I'm 63). It occurred to me that it may be due to a powder supplement I've been drinking, called Natural Calm. It's "ionic magnesium citrate, a blend of citric acid and magnesium carbonate." It's mixed with water and I drink it throughout the day. I called the company to see if they've heard of it causing tooth sensitivity and they haven't. They said the citric acid binds with the magnesium carbonate, but they weren't really sure if it could be the cause and said to ask a dentist. Do you think that just the citric acid in it could increase tooth sensitivity a lot? Especially since my teeth are sort of bathed in it all day. I was thinking it's just gotten worse due to old age.  Thanks

Answer
Hi Lee,

I'm not a chemist, but in a general sort of way I grew up being told that anything that was acidic would be bad for your teeth.  So things like soda and lemons.....I was told to stay away from excess amounts of that.  One of my biggest vices was that I liked to bite into sliced lemons.  I liked the taste of them, knew it was bad, and did it anyway. Fortunately the composition of my teeth has always been very good.

It's good that you called the manufacturer of "Natural Calm"to ask questions, but I would NOT take too much stock in their answers. Who knows how reliable to you the information would be.  After all, they want consumers to be happy with, and not be afraid of their product (or assume any liability).  It would be like calling a cigarette company and asking...."Are cigarettes bad for you??"  I think we all know the answer to that one.

Visit your dentist and ask your questions.  As with all things, "prevention" is the best method of treatment.

Jonathan
PatientPOV

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble