Dentistry/Dental Implants etc

Hello Dr. Finnk - I am Jim Magee, age 66 (04/04/49) and I am originally from Rhode Island. I have now relocated as of April 01, 2015 to 863 Pecan Circle in Barefoot Bay Village, Sebastian, Florida 32976. Before I left Rhode Island, I was able to get an appointment to get my teeth fixed/replaced with dental implant surgery, and that was supposed to start happening in May at of Charlestown, Rhode Island by Drs. Bruce Gouin, & Christine Benoit.

Sadly for me, before all that started happening, I was compelled to move to Florida for my son who needed me down here, and now, here I am, stuck "up a river, without a paddle", or even a bloody canoe! I have quite a few dental problems, that implant surgery would help but I have only my disability money coming in and not much transportation. When I was much younger - I had a lot of dental work done. Caps and fillings on my front top teeth and much other work as well.

Admittedly some of this work was because of poor dental hygiene at a young age and by the time I discovered, still at a young age - the importance of brushing/flossing etc several times a day - it was already too late and as I like to quote a favorite comedian "you can't fix stupid - stupid is forever!" And so is poor dental hygiene, but too late is too late. I have been adamant about my mouth for years, but once bad seeds are planted, you simply can't go back and fix the damage created by lack of knowledge and or ignorance.

Can you help me? My financial resources are limited at best, and here I am, also  a guitarist / musician entertainer and look like I came from the mountains and did not know what dental  care was about! Although that's not true, it still doesn't change anything. I would certainly appreciate your response and time, and thank you so much for anything you might be able to do to ease my suffering the embarrassment of my personal situation.

Much respect, James Magee 111

Dear James,

I'm sorry to hear that you're up against all your issues, and that they are affecting your ability to maintain or improve your teeth.

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for:  Advice about what to do with your teeth?  I can't provide any without first seeing you for an examination and xrays.

A dentist that does implants?  A free clinic?  A dental college where good care is assured, but at lower fees?  Based on my lack of knowledge, here's what I can offer:

I don't know any dentists in your area.  However, I do know a fine internist in Port St. Lucie by the name of Dr. Dana Dameron.  If you contact his office, they should be able to guide you to a good dentist in your area.

If you are looking for free care, you will need to contact the dental association in your county, or your county's social services agency.  Most likely there is a county funded dental clinic not too far from you.

Unfortunately, you are not close to a dental college.  The closest is Nova Southeastern University here in Broward County.  But there may be a program for you at your local community college, where they may have a dental assisting or dental hygiene program that provides low cost care.

Please let me know what you find out and what you choose to do.  If I'm on the wrong track, let me know in what other ways I can help.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.