Dentistry/Difference between decay and cavity

I've had a tooth for a while that's partially decayed. The left side of the tooth is very eroded as if a chunk is missing. When I see the dentist, he points out when he sees a cavity, but never notices that tooth until I point it out to him. He says it's decayed, so I'm wondering if there is a difference between cavities and a decayed tooth?

Decay is when the hard structure demineralizes. It will be soft like cheese. A cavity is a hole. Tooth decay represents itself as a hole in your tooth.   A cavity indicates decay. The broken tooth has plenty of decay as well even though it is no longer a hole since a portion of the tooth broke off. You should be quite concerned if nobody points out a broken tooth to you and offers options for treatment or removal.

Rafael Mosery,D.D.S.

I`m a practicing general dentist for 29 years. Member of ADA,NYSDA,SDDS. In addition I am a fellow of the ICOI.My emphasis is on Implant Dentistry .I would be happy to answer questions regarding implant dentistry as well as general dental questions. Ofcourse within the limitations of no clinical exam and the absence of radiographs .

Private practice for 29 years. Have kept up to date with continuing education throughout that time.

ADA,NYDSA,SDDS,ICOI fellow,Penninsula Hospital Dental Society

NYU College of Dentistry DDS 1984 NYU College of Dentistry Surgical and prosthetic implantology program 1999-2001