Dentistry/Difference between decay and cavity

Question
I've had a tooth for a while that's partially decayed. The left side of the tooth is very eroded as if a chunk is missing. When I see the dentist, he points out when he sees a cavity, but never notices that tooth until I point it out to him. He says it's decayed, so I'm wondering if there is a difference between cavities and a decayed tooth?

Answer
Decay is when the hard structure demineralizes. It will be soft like cheese. A cavity is a hole. Tooth decay represents itself as a hole in your tooth.   A cavity indicates decay. The broken tooth has plenty of decay as well even though it is no longer a hole since a portion of the tooth broke off. You should be quite concerned if nobody points out a broken tooth to you and offers options for treatment or removal.

Dentistry

Rafael Mosery,D.D.S.