Dentistry/Painful to Smile and Speak Properly

QUESTION: I have uploaded my Dental information to

No names have been included. Just raw data.

I cant smile because it is painful. I had an apico on #8 in 86' and 96'. The second time it was at a local dental school and I have had problems ever since. They cut the gum front and back between the tooth and then re-sewed it. I remember the dentist in 86' telling me that you couldn't sew it back to tight or you would have problems.

I have a lot going on that needs to be addressed in my mouth. Its all laid out in the files I have uploaded.

Feel free to address any of my issues.

Thank you very much for your feedback, as it is appreciated.

ANSWER: I need a question so that I know what kind and f feedback you'd like from me.  While I wait for your question, I'll look at your upload.

QUESTION: What do you recommend I do on #8 (front tooth) and the surrounding tissue which is causing me pain when I talk or smile?

The endodontist I saw, who root canaled #19 (molar with gold onlay) recently, said a 3rd apico on #8 is not advised and an implant would be preferable.  

The General Dentist he referred me to didn't flag #8 as an issue to begin with and said that getting a crown with a buildup or an onlay on #19 is the priority.

The Mercury-Free DDS who I saw after the General Dentist said that #8 needs an implant asap before any work on #19. I went to him because I have 2 mercury fillings on either side of #19 and I was told by Holistic Doctors that mercury amalgams are bad especially for chronically ill patients like me. The General Dentist doesnt believe in mercury-free dentistry. I wanted to kill 2 birds with one stone and instead ended up getting #8 prioritized over #19 which I initially came in for.

Im requesting information from AllExperts because NO ONE has addressed my pain when I smile or speak even though I have told them about it.

How can that be addressed if at all? especially in the context of everything that is going on in my mouth.

There seem to be major philosophical differences between dentists, ie, mercury-free or not and which teeth should be priorities.

Im not sure who to believe and am requesting another opinion.

The files I have included (x-rays, treatment plans, chart notes, my input, etc) go into greater detail.

Again thanks for any help.

What I first notice is that you have already received 5 different opinions.

In my office, your first priority becomes our first priority.  If you are most concerned about your front tooth having pain, I would focus on your front tooth in pain.  To quickly answer what you should do, here is what I recommend:
1. Make an impression for a temporary replacement, which will be ready to insert when
2. Remove your painful front tooth and place the temporary replacement
3. If possible, place the implant at the time this tooth is removed.  This saves you at least one visit and at least one more surgical exposure
4. During the 3 months needed for implant healing, take care of the rest of your teeth
5. At the end of the 3 month healing period, begin the process of making and placing the final crown.

My rule is "Your problem comes first.  The problems I find in your mouth come next."

Stop worrying about your silver (mercury?) fillings.  This is a sales ploy by the non-mercury dentist.

I hope I helped

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.