Dentistry/preventing tartar

I would like to know how to prevent tartar buildup on the backs of my upper and lower front teeth, since I canít reach them effectively either with a toothbrush or floss, due to the concave shape of the surfaces in those areas. I have my teeth cleaned twice a year, which has always been sufficient. This weekend, 3 months after the last cleaning I noticed tartar between my lower front teeth. I cleaned it up with floss, but was shocked when I looked at the back of the teeth and found them covered with tartar. I made an appointment for an extra cleaning, but how can I prevent this?

Thank you

when you do go for your cleaning ask the hygienist to show you how to angle your brush to more effectively clean. The tooth  brush has to be vertical and almost upright. Ask them to show you. If you'd like you can watch a video I made on how to brush properly. Just copy and past the link to your browser

Lawrence Spindel DDS,

Cosmetic Dentistry, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry, Comprehensive Dental Care

Former Clinical Instructor of Comprehensive Dentistry, and Prosthodontic Department New York University School of Dentistry. Also former instructor of Preventive Dentistry Columbia University School of Dentistry.

Ask Dr Spindel Dental Blog also numerous articles on (over 100 pages of original content)

1980 DDS New York University College of Dentistry 1981 GPR Manhattan VA Hospital

OKU 1980 Honor Society 1980 Long Island Academy of Odontology award for highest combined Academic and Clinical Achievement.
In 1997 he was elected to Fellowship into the International Academy for Dental Facial Esthetics