Dentistry/Tingly in cheek/jawline

I recently visited the dentist for swollen cheek and tooth pain. The dentist told me I need a root canal and crown. She also gave me amoxicillin- 500mg to be taken 3 times a day for a week. I dont have time to get a root canal as I am going out of town and the crown is really expensive out of pocket.
The swelling went down and I am in no pain. It's day 3 and last night I had a little pain, and tingling in my cheek. I iced it. Today I have zero pain but my cheek feels like it's cold, maybe light burning in the far back corner of my mouth by the lower jaw bone. I get cold sensations in my cheek that feels like tingles. What is this? Is the infection healing? Should I be concerned?

Jessica - It is a little difficult for me to know what is happening without examining you, but the antibiotic has calmed the infection somewhat,but most likely, the infection still exists.  Once the antibiotic stops the infection will increase again.  The cold sensations are probably due to a growth of the infection.  

My suggestion is that you need to keep taking the antibiotic, but start warm salt water rinses instead of ice.  Do the rinsing for about 5 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  This will help to create some drainage of the infection into your mouth so it does not continue to grow in your cheek.  It is really better to get the root canal done now, but continue the medication until it is used up and continue the warm salt water to create drainage and keeps the infection quiet.  

Do take the medication, do the rinsing and get back to the dentist after you get back to have the root canal treatment done to prevent a further growth of the infection.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude