Dentistry/Tooth is cutting my gum and tongue? Any suggestions until I can get to dentist?

My dentist was in the process of filling a cavity and doing build up for a crown when she discovered I will need a root canal.  She had already drilled away most of my tooth, but she decided I needed to go to a surgeon to do the root canal.  The tooth is now a jagged and pointy nub with no type of temp crown and she didn't give me any instructions on how to protect the tooth or my mouth.  It's causing a lot of pain around my gums and feels like it is cutting or scratching up my tongue every time I talk.  I won't get into the surgeon until next Tuesday. Any suggestions on what to do to protect my mouth and my tooth until I get into the surgeon?

Dear Rachel:
I'm sorry to hear that you are having troubles.  However, you actually should call your dentist and ask her to see you and fabricate a provisional (temporary) crown for you.  That is the proper thing to do.
If you cannot see your dentist, you might try and place a piece of suger-free gum after you chew it for a while, over the tooth to cover the sharp edges.  If it does not stick, you can go the pharmacy and buy some orthodontic wax.  The pharmacist will know what it is.  It is sticky wax that is used for braces so that they do not cut the lips and cheeks.  Just put a small amout on the tooth.
As to the care, there is nothing special to do except brush and floss as ususall.  You can brush right over the remainder of the tooth, since plaque will settle on it anyway.  Keep the area clean and brushed.
Nontheless, the most important thing to do is to call your dentist and tell her about this.  The least she can do is to smoothe down the sharp edges.  It only takes a second.
Best of luck,

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.