Dentistry/12 year-old molars

Question
Hi Dr. Teig,
I'm a 15 year old girl with two impacted twelve year old molars on the bottom jaw. The orthodontists say that I need to get them surgically removed, but the insurance hasn't given the ok yet and I'm starting to experience some pain. What can I do to help the pain? I think I'll get the surgery in four-six months.

Answer
Cecilia - There is not a definite way to hold off the discomfort unless you follow the instructions I am going to give you.

Begin warm salt water rinses for 3-5 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  The warm salt water will help reduce inflammation and should help reduce discomfort.  You need to do the rinsing every day to quiet the tooth  Even with than, if any food debris gets stuck under the gums. it will begin to break down and cause inflammation plus infection.  Even with the rinses, you need to be meticulous with brushing your teeth after every meal and at bedtime and in the morning,

There is no guarantee this will definitely prevent a problem, but it is the best.  You need to brush your teeth at every meal, in the morning and at night before bed.  You should gently brush the surface of your tongue gently 2-3 times per day.

I hope this holds off any problem, but you need to be prepared.  I wish you well.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired