Dentistry/5 year old dental issues

Question
My almost 6 year old has 2 bottom teeth fused together, being considered one by his dentist.  They did X-rays and he does have the proper number of teeth, but 2 of them, the ones below the fused teeth are growing crucid, one growing a little in front of the other.  He is getting his first loose tooth, which is the one to the right of the fused teeth.  The dentist told me to call them when he does lose it so we can pay attention to how they will grow and then he may possibly need braces.  I'm just curious, isn't 6 young for braces?  Would they put them on now or wait a few years?  How are situations like this often handled?

Answer
They do what's called interceptive ortho. Basically they may place an appliance now to correct a problem early and guide things in the right direction for the future . It's a growing field in orthodontics and many discrepancies could be easily corrected when intercepted early on.

Dentistry

Rafael Mosery,D.D.S.