Dentistry/5 year old dental issues

My almost 6 year old has 2 bottom teeth fused together, being considered one by his dentist.  They did X-rays and he does have the proper number of teeth, but 2 of them, the ones below the fused teeth are growing crucid, one growing a little in front of the other.  He is getting his first loose tooth, which is the one to the right of the fused teeth.  The dentist told me to call them when he does lose it so we can pay attention to how they will grow and then he may possibly need braces.  I'm just curious, isn't 6 young for braces?  Would they put them on now or wait a few years?  How are situations like this often handled?

They do what's called interceptive ortho. Basically they may place an appliance now to correct a problem early and guide things in the right direction for the future . It's a growing field in orthodontics and many discrepancies could be easily corrected when intercepted early on.

Rafael Mosery,D.D.S.

I`m a practicing general dentist for 29 years. Member of ADA,NYSDA,SDDS. In addition I am a fellow of the ICOI.My emphasis is on Implant Dentistry .I would be happy to answer questions regarding implant dentistry as well as general dental questions. Ofcourse within the limitations of no clinical exam and the absence of radiographs .

Private practice for 29 years. Have kept up to date with continuing education throughout that time.

ADA,NYDSA,SDDS,ICOI fellow,Penninsula Hospital Dental Society

NYU College of Dentistry DDS 1984 NYU College of Dentistry Surgical and prosthetic implantology program 1999-2001