Dentistry/Dental Braces and Teeth Extraction

Question
1) Sir I have crooked teeth and need to install braces. The dentist said that he need to extract 4 teeths before installing braces. Sir, the extraction of teeth is done under local anesthesia na rather than general anesthesia?

2) Sir if a person is allergic to local anesthesia, then what can be done to find out that whether he is allergic to local anesthesia or not? (before teeth extraction surgery)

3) Sir I have breathing issues/asthama/allergies, I could not breath properly. My nasal bone is also deviated, in such situation which test do you think are necessary before having dental surgery? Also as I have never undergone any surgery or anesthesia ever in my life yet

4) Sir can a person die because of local anesthesia?

Answer
Dear Human,

1. Extractions can be done with either local or general anesthesia.  If you are frightened of the experience, you can ask for general.  In our office we use a combination of mild sedation and local anesthesia for our patients who express concerns.

2. It is very rare that a person is allergic to local anesthesia.  In the event of an allergy to one, we keep 4 different types on hand.  If you are allergic to one, it is not likely you are allergic to another.  Again, if you are concerned, you can be put to sleep.

3. If you have never undergone surgery or anesthesia in your life, how can you know that you are allergic to local anesthetic?  If you want testing prior to your procedure, you need to see your medical doctor.  He or she will make the proper recommendations.

4. Yes.  But it is FAR MORE likely that you will die in a traffic accident.  Dying from local anesthetic is extremely rare.

You may want to talk to your orthodontist to find out if there is a way you can have your teeth straightened without you having to lose teeth.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO