Dentistry/Dentin hypersensitivity / enamel recovery?

Dear Howard,

In 2012, I asked you a question about my case which is dentin hypersensitivity as a consequence of tooth brushing with some soda. You answered that question here ( advising to use a desensitizing toothpaste. I have been doing it so far and it moderately helped, yet, I still have this sensitivity and sometimes it is really disturbing.

I am wondering if science and medicine have gone further in this issue of dentin hypersensitivity since 2012; if any techniques of enamel recover have become available since then? Do you know anything about that or perhaps you know where I could search for more information?

Thank you very much in advance for your answer.

Dear Sam,
sorry to hear you are still having sensitivity.
To my knowledge there is no enamel replacement or grower, despite what you might read.
The best advice I have is stop brushing the teeth for a week and see if that helps.
Although it is counter intuitive advice you might be very surprised to discover that the combination of dental plaque and saliva may be the only non-surgical solution to your problem.  Also during the week trial , chew gum, three or four times a day  it will stimulate salivary flow. The saliva is the only source of mineral for rebuilding and protecting your sensitive teeth.
Hope this helps a little , if not then your only alternative is dental intervention.
All the best,
Dr. Moss

Stephen J. Moss

I am a professor emeritus at New York University, with a background that includes extensive research, scientific writing and biology. I also am an international consultant in health education, particularly in developing education on new science for health professionals and consumers. I am a past president of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, former head of the NYU Division of Oral Biology and I represent the World Dental Federation at the United Nations. I travel around the world to provide health education to professionals and consumers.

Having retired from New York Universit, where I directed the pediatric dentistry training program, a walk-in dental clinic and research on oral biology, I formalized my professional and consumer health education initiative in the form of Health Education Enterprises. This entity consults and provides information on new science pertaining to oral and general health, particularly leading edge concepts that can be employed in the health professions to improve the public's health. As such, I am an expert in communicating new science and its usefulness to professional and lay audiences alike. I also had a pediatric dentistry practice in New York City for nearly 30 years.

I am affiliated with the American Dental Association, the World Dental Federation, the International Association of Pediatric Dentistry and the American Association of Pediatric Dentistry among other formal organizations. My experience has included a research fellowship at the National Institutes of Health and work at the Forsythe Dental Research Center

lpha Omegan USA, Nowa Stomatologia Poland, Journal of Public Health Dentistry, The Journal of the Southeastern Society of Pediatric Dentistry USA, News Bulletin Japan, Journal of Marmara University Dental Faculty Turkey, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry Italy, Asian Dentist Singapore, The Journal of the Israel Dental Association Israel, ROBRAC Brazil, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry
Italy, FDI World, STOMA Portugal, Pediatric Dentistry The Philippines, Modern Stomatology Bulgaria, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry India

I obtained a doctor of dental science (DDS) degree, a master of science degree and am a board certified pediatric dentist.