Dentistry/Extracting wisdom teeth

I am 57 years old and had one wisdom tooth extracted about 10 years ago.  I have another that is breaking through the skin.  The dentist had me see an oral surgeon who recommended it be removed.  Since I am not having any problems and because of my age why not leave well enough alone?  The surgeon said there could be trauma to the jaw as  losing feeling but he said that usually goes away.

I need some guidance here.  

John - if the tooth on X-ray shows infection or inflammation with or without decay, the tooth should be extracted.  If there is no evidence of either it could probably be left alone for now, unless the surgeon sees that the tooth is in position to develop a problem or injure the tooth in front.  So you need to find out the reason.  Find out the surgeon's reason and if you have a question, get back to me and I will try to provide an answer.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude