Dentistry/sinus drainage from extracted tooth

I had a back tooth pulled 9 weeks ago,dr said it was really bad abscessed I did not even know their was never any pain just bothered me if I drank something cold so I had it pulled .their has been drainage from the gums ever since . ive been on strong anti bodics twice its been 9 wks n still bad tasting drainage my dentist says I may have to see a surgeon to go back up into the gums and put some kind of cap over my sinus drainage.your thoughts? thank you

Charlotte -it sounds like your dentist was a little agressive and caused damage in the area of the extraction and produced a hole in the sinus wall. There is a hole into the sinus. This area needs to close.  Sometimes it closes on its own if the dentist sealed the opening, but if not and the hole is still there, saliva with bacteria gains access into the sinus and can cause a sinus infection. So see an oral surgeon to help in closing the hole.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude