Dentistry/Wisdom toothe with large cavity - pull or cap

Question
About 2 years ago I had a wisdom tooth filled with a large filling. My current dentist would like to Cap this tooth,  and is surprised that I have no pain with the tooth. He made this suggestion a year ago, and on my at my last visit reminded me about the tooth. The tooth has no pain, but the filling is large. For a $140 dollar co-pay, I can have the tooth capped. My question for you, is should I have the tooth capped, or just stay with the large filling? I already have some capped teeth, and am not too crazy about them. It is hard to know what to do, as I am not sure if the dentist is just looking for work.

Answer
Hi Will and thanks for your question.

I am sure you can understand the danger and difficulty of me giving you a definitive answer and diagnosis without having all the appropriate X-rays and notes at my disposal.  I therefore cannot say whether or not a crown is not indicated in your specific circumstance but can say this..

Your dentist should explain to you why exactly a crown is indicated on this tooth and transparently explain to you why the benefits of doing the crown outweigh the risks of not doing it.  I would advise that you have an open and honest chat with your clinician and and ask all the questions you need to in order to make an informed choice of what is right for you - clinically and financially - the consider the situation before making a final decision. You are, of course, always entitled to get a second opinion on the matter in order to get the peace of mind that you deserve before any treatment is started.  You must have full belief that your clinician has your  best interests at heart and fully trust and respect their advice.  If you don't, then I suggest you start shopping around for a new dentist with whom you can develop a better professional relationship.  

I therefore hesitate to say whether or not any wisdom tooth should be crowned, purely because the oral circumstances and indications, and contra-indications, vary greatly between patients and there are so many intra-patient factors which have to be taken into account in advising any treatment. I hope this helps and wish you all the very best further and trust you will make a decision which best suits you in all respects, take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)