You are here:

Dentistry/enquiry - Treatments and Remedies for tooth decay


I am having tooth decay in my lower molars.. what are some of the remedies I can do to at home to reverse it..

Hello Kelly,

Since you believe your tooth decay has already started, there may not be anything you can do yourself to repair or reverse it.

At home treatment is usually based on the concept of prevention, regular checkups and not fixing damage that has already occurred.

In your case you must have a dentist look inside your mouth.  There are many different variations of tooth decay or cavities that can range from holes in your teeth to infections in the roots of a tooth.

Depending on the diagnosis, here are some typical treatment options.

  -  Fluoride Treatment for minor decay such as damage to your enamel.

  -  Fillings for when decay goes beyond your enamel and creates a whole in your tooth.

  -  Crowns are used for my extensive tooth decay.

  -  Root canals for when decay reaches the inner material of your tooth (pulp). Root canals often save infected teeth.

  - Tooth extractions are used if tooth is severely infected and damaged.

After your dentist has restored your teeth back to good health, try to focus on prevention.  Prevention is something you can do at home.

According to the Mayo Clinic these are some recommended oral hygiene habits:

  - Brush with fluoride toothpaste after eating or drinking.

  - Rinse your mouth with a dental fluoride rinse.

  - Drink some tap water.  Most public water supplies contain fluoride.

  - Eat tooth-healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables and avoid candies, cookies and popcorn that tends to get stuck in your teeth.

  - Ask about antibacterial treatments. If you're especially vulnerable to tooth decay for example, because of a medical condition your dentist may recommend special antibacterial mouth rinses or other treatments to help cut down on harmful bacteria in your mouth.

Thanks for your question.

Best Regards,
Patient Point of View  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jonathan at PatientBabble


My area of expertise from the patients point of view would be Dentistry/TMJ plus the speech challenges that these jaw and bite problems sometimes represent. Over the years I have seen a multitude of dentists, orthodontists, oral surgeons, speech therapists, neurologists and other health professionals who all had an opinion about my TMJ/bite problem. I AM NOT A DOCTOR...but would purely be a patients point of view type person. I "get it" when people say they tried to explain to their dentist what their TMJ/bite problem is and that they are misunderstood. I can listen to people's trials and tribulations and there is a good chance I have been down that road before. I can make suggestions as to what people can do at home, or what questions to ask their doctor or dentist when they visit. I will try and recall information or experiences that may be helpful to you.


About 25 years ago, I had my wisdom teeth out and since then my bite has never felt "normal." For whatever reason, the first sensation I remember was not that my bite was off.....but rather that my normal tongue and speech patterns had been impeded. I spent years going to different dentists, who lumped me into their generic version of what they knew about TMJ. The majority of dentists believe they can treat TMJ, but only those whose primary focus is TMJ treatment, are really any good at it. Any dentist, can take an impression of your teeth, send that impression off to the lab and have them make a night guard. That is the easy part. The tricky part is what the dentist does with the night guard, once receiving it from the lab. The dentist has to do a "fitting" where they tailor the night guard to be evenly balanced and comfortable in your mouth. Sometimes it can take a few visits, because further adjustments need to be made to the night guard appliance, to get it just right. I have found that dentists, who have had the most practice, do a better job at fitting your appliance. It's almost like an art form.

Jonathan's Blog is:

College Graduate with Bachelor of Arts Degree

©2017 All rights reserved.