Dentistry/enquiry - Treatments and Remedies for tooth decay

Question
hello
I am having tooth decay in my lower molars.. what are some of the remedies I can do to at home to reverse it..
thanks

Answer
Hello Kelly,

Since you believe your tooth decay has already started, there may not be anything you can do yourself to repair or reverse it.

At home treatment is usually based on the concept of prevention, regular checkups and not fixing damage that has already occurred.

In your case you must have a dentist look inside your mouth.  There are many different variations of tooth decay or cavities that can range from holes in your teeth to infections in the roots of a tooth.

Depending on the diagnosis, here are some typical treatment options.

-  Fluoride Treatment for minor decay such as damage to your enamel.

-  Fillings for when decay goes beyond your enamel and creates a whole in your tooth.

-  Crowns are used for my extensive tooth decay.

-  Root canals for when decay reaches the inner material of your tooth (pulp). Root canals often save infected teeth.

- Tooth extractions are used if tooth is severely infected and damaged.

After your dentist has restored your teeth back to good health, try to focus on prevention.  Prevention is something you can do at home.

According to the Mayo Clinic these are some recommended oral hygiene habits:

- Brush with fluoride toothpaste after eating or drinking.

- Rinse your mouth with a dental fluoride rinse.

- Drink some tap water.  Most public water supplies contain fluoride.

- Eat tooth-healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables and avoid candies, cookies and popcorn that tends to get stuck in your teeth.

- Ask about antibacterial treatments. If you're especially vulnerable to tooth decay for example, because of a medical condition your dentist may recommend special antibacterial mouth rinses or other treatments to help cut down on harmful bacteria in your mouth.

Thanks for your question.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble