Dentistry/My gums are pulling away from my teeth.

Question
My gums are pulling away from my teeth. While eating food will find its way pushing my gum away and get stuck. I can move my gum with my tongue its not all that painful though. What is causing this? How do I treat this without visiting a dentist? There is not much I can do there but get a regular cleaning due to being pregnant. So is there a way to treat this that is safe for me and my baby? And to help prevent this from happening in the future?

Answer
Dear Breanna,

What you describe is very typical of advancing gum disease.  If you look at the edges of your gums where they end and the teeth begin, this gum edge should be tightly attached to your teeth.  This both helps to hold your teeth in and seals out bacteria from entering your bloodstream, as well as making your gum disease worse.  This happens because your gums are over reacting to the bacteria that naturally occur in your mouth, become inflamed and infected, and continue to loosen from your teeth.  Eventually, this infection will melt away the part of your jawbone that holds your roots in, and your teeth will begin to fall out.  Or worse, you will develop infections in other parts of your body that can be traced to the infections in your gums.

In addition, gum disease has been related to early labor and delivery.

There is no way to treat this, that I know of, other than visiting your dentist.  If you were my patient, I would recommend deep cleaning using local anesthetic without epinephrine, instructions on how best to care for yourself at home during healing, then a second visit 6 weeks after the procedure to evaluate results and review your home care.  Between the first and second visits, you might use a safe antibacterial rinse that your dentist will recommend. All of this should be done after obtaining a medical clearance from your OB.

So I suggest you visit your dentist right away.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO