Dentistry/Injury to Bone Graft

Question
Dr. Tieg, I had a sinus lift bone graft, where the surgeon had to add a lot of bone so my denture would be able to fit, since I lost so much. It was in the front right side of my ridge. A week after I had it done I accidentally bit on a stick that was in a can of green beans. Even though I put it in the blender so I could eat it better. I injured the ridge where the stitches were, and I think it may have pushed the bone up further. It turned red and blue, but after a week it is just swelled up, and doesn't look good.  My last antibiotic was Monday. I have never had pain, only slight swelling, so I am hoping I do not have to lose the graft. I go see my oral surgeon this Tuesday afternoon.  I am so worried at what he will say. Thank You

Answer
JoAnn- it does not sound like a major injury to the area, but more so, it sounds like simple trauma, but of course, I cannot be completely sure without examining you. My suggestion is for you to do a simple treatment, until you see the surgeon, you should do the following. Take a warm glass of salt water(teaspoon salt in glass water) and hold a mouth full of warm water against the area of the trauma.  Hold it for 10-15 seconds.  Do it 4 times for 4-5 times a day.  You will see that the swelling will start to decrease.

I hope when you see the surgeon, the area was only bruised and not badly injured.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired