Dentistry/new patent intro fee

Question
Hi Jonathan,

From reading your profile, it looks like you have a lot more experience with dental specialist than I do. I hope you can answer my question, but totally understand if you're not able to.

I've noticed that some dentist charge new patients $69 for digital x-rays, cleaning, and exam.  My dentist charges $75 for the cleaning and $110 for the digital X-rays.  So I wonder if the dentists that only charge $69 will make up the difference by jacking up the price for any extractions or fillings that they will need to do to make up for the low introductory $69 price.  Do you have any experience with this?  Hope you can answer my question. Thank you

Mary

Answer
Hi Mary,

Yes, $69 seems rather cheap.  But I really don't know how how dentists make up the difference in cost.

Do I think your dentist is going to jack up the fees on other procedures to counter an inexpensive X-ray?  I don't know.  It's anybody's guess as to how they rationalize the balance of their costs and fees.

Someone once told me that some dentists love to do X-rays because it's all profit for them.   

This is what I would suggest to help minimize X-ray costs.  Try and do fewer of them.  For example, it every year your dentist wants to do an X-ray at the same time he cleans your teeth, ask them if this is really necessary.  Perhaps you might let them do an X-ray....ever other year.  If your teeth are relatively healthy, then every other year might work.  If you have a lot of problems, then just bite the bullet and do them as often as needed.

Another tip.....if you get referred to another dentist for some reason.....you can let them know that you just had x-rays a few months ago.  Ask if they can call your original dentist and have the x-rays you already had done to be sent over.  Why pay for them twice right?

If your dentist charges $41 more than other dentists introductory x-ray deal, it's not really a deal breaker.  Don't let introductory come on's sway you from the big picture.....which is to have a trusting relationship with a competent dentist.  In fact, if it were me, then introductory X-ray deals would rub me the wrong way.  I don't like to think of my dentist in the same way I think of wireless cell phone carriers, that bait you into switching for one time up front promotions. It's a red flag. Don't fall for it.

Thanks for your question.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble