Dentistry/Pain Insisive Nerve Area

Dr. Tieg, I went to my dentist with  pain in my upper ridge from many years of wearing an upper denture . The last two relines would not pick up in the anterior ridge area., and there are small holes in gum tissue. An oral surgeon took CT x-ray, said saw nothing , but seen the holes, just said it is my anatomy. Would not acknowledge a dent on side of nerve from obvious bone loss. What should I do now, go to a dental school? When I eat even without teeth the pain is bad, also with the denture. Is this a risky surgery, that he refuses to do? My dentist cannot reline or make a new denture for me until some type of surgery. I can't take any more pain. Please help! Thanks

James - I do not know the knowledge of your surgeon or if the doctor is a board certified surgeon, but you definitely need a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to evaluate your situation.  The holes in  the gum tissue usually means that the denture is not fabricated or adjusted properly.  My suggestion is that you do go to University of Missouri Dentistry - Kansas City and when you make an appointment, ask to have Dr. Brett Ferguson, DDS, Chairman of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery to evaluate you.  

If that is a problem for you, let me know where in Missouri you live and I will try to find a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to help you.  

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude