Dentistry/Re: Tooth extraction

I just had a lower right front molar tooth extracted yesterday, and the area is more numb than it is painful.  The tooth was decayed and it was a 'root canal' tooth.  I couldn't find a local Oral Surgeon with good reviews, so I chose a dentist to remove the tooth.  He had to remove a small amount of bone to remove one of the roots.  I think the root was slightly curved. Is it common to remove a little bone with the root?  Or is it also possible to remove a curved root without taking any bone? Thank you for your information.

Ginny -  It is not uncommon for a small amount of bone to be removed to aid in removing a root. If the doctor was not able to make the root loose to remove it so he probably had to remove bone to gain access to the root. It is possible to remove a root if it is curved, but each situation is different.  So it is a little difficult for me to determine with viewing an xray of the area and examining you.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude