Dentistry/Re: Tooth extraction

Question
I just had a lower right front molar tooth extracted yesterday, and the area is more numb than it is painful.  The tooth was decayed and it was a 'root canal' tooth.  I couldn't find a local Oral Surgeon with good reviews, so I chose a dentist to remove the tooth.  He had to remove a small amount of bone to remove one of the roots.  I think the root was slightly curved. Is it common to remove a little bone with the root?  Or is it also possible to remove a curved root without taking any bone? Thank you for your information.

Answer
Ginny -  It is not uncommon for a small amount of bone to be removed to aid in removing a root. If the doctor was not able to make the root loose to remove it so he probably had to remove bone to gain access to the root. It is possible to remove a root if it is curved, but each situation is different.  So it is a little difficult for me to determine with viewing an xray of the area and examining you.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired