Dentistry/Trauma to teeth

Question
Last night I suffered a blow to my upper lip and base of nose from a broom handle (working in garage). It drove my lip up against the base of my front teeth. Had a split inside upper lip and now swollen.  My concern is my front teeth - there is no movement of the teeth - they are firmly fixed in the maxilla but they feel numb.  Do I need to be concerned about root damage?  Is it possible to have root damage with no tooth movement?

Answer
Dear Holly, when teeth sustain a blow, even if there is no looseness afterwards it can cause the pulp inside to become non vital. Usually when a patient has a history such as yours, I take an x-ray to check for any fractures and then wait for a period of time to see if there are any changes(darkening of the tooth. pain or swelling periapically). After 6 months-one year, I take another periapical x-ray to see if there are any changes.

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com