Dentistry/Trauma to teeth

Last night I suffered a blow to my upper lip and base of nose from a broom handle (working in garage). It drove my lip up against the base of my front teeth. Had a split inside upper lip and now swollen.  My concern is my front teeth - there is no movement of the teeth - they are firmly fixed in the maxilla but they feel numb.  Do I need to be concerned about root damage?  Is it possible to have root damage with no tooth movement?

Dear Holly, when teeth sustain a blow, even if there is no looseness afterwards it can cause the pulp inside to become non vital. Usually when a patient has a history such as yours, I take an x-ray to check for any fractures and then wait for a period of time to see if there are any changes(darkening of the tooth. pain or swelling periapically). After 6 months-one year, I take another periapical x-ray to see if there are any changes.

Lawrence Spindel DDS,

Cosmetic Dentistry, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry, Comprehensive Dental Care

Former Clinical Instructor of Comprehensive Dentistry, and Prosthodontic Department New York University School of Dentistry. Also former instructor of Preventive Dentistry Columbia University School of Dentistry.

Ask Dr Spindel Dental Blog also numerous articles on (over 100 pages of original content)

1980 DDS New York University College of Dentistry 1981 GPR Manhattan VA Hospital

OKU 1980 Honor Society 1980 Long Island Academy of Odontology award for highest combined Academic and Clinical Achievement.
In 1997 he was elected to Fellowship into the International Academy for Dental Facial Esthetics