Dentistry/vinegar and gum erosion

Question
I want to start taking apple cider vinegar for health benefits, but have very bad gum erosion/sensitivity. Because of its acidity, it's recommended to rinse out the mouth with water, right after taking the cider vinegar. I don't want to risk making the gum erosion worse, will rinsing out the mouth be enough? Thanks

Answer
Rinsing with water is a great idea but I'd also suggest after the water a quick rinse with a fluoride rinse too.  Then leave it on the teeth and don't rinse after you've used it.  Be very careful if you already have  sensitivity because acids on the dentin or cementum will only compound the problem.  Dentin is the layer under enamel and cementum is the part of the tooth you know as the root.

Dr. Karmen

Dentistry

Thomas Karmen