Dentistry/cavity extending below gum line

Question
tooth #21
tooth #21  
How are you, Dr. Block,
I came to my dentist to recement the crown which fell from the tooth #21 after 15 years.  She looked at this tooth, x-ray, and said that tooth is a goner because cavity at tooth neck extended under the gum and surrounded nerve. She said she can't touch and clean that cavity because it will be a root canal. The dentist put crown back on permanent cement and advised me to extract it when I will start having pain from infected nerve. Is it possible/practicable first to make a preventive root canal and then to remove that cavity under the gum? Thank you very much for your opinion!

Answer
Good Day,
Thank you for submitting this question.Your clinical situation is not all that unusual.Of course my comments are based solely on the information you have provided without the benefit of a clinical or radiographic exam.
The short answer to your question is yes.
However the following is a more thorough explanation.
It is not all that unusual that recurrent decay can develop under and around a pre-existing crown.When this occurs, as in your situation, the dentist must access the periodontal(gum)and bone support around the tooth.All the decay needs to be totally removed, and the strength, quality and amount of remaining healthy tooth and root structure needs to be evaluated.A treatment plan with the various alternatives can be formulated.
In your particular situation it sounds like the amount decay that needs to be removed will not only result in the pulp( the gelatinous tissue of the root that contains nerves and blood vessels- the root canal space)being exposed, but the remaining healthy root structure below the gum and possibly the surrounding bone. Thus the real key to treatment of your situation is the periodontal(gum)and supporting bone structure around the remaining healty root after the decay is removed.
After all this decay is removed a root canal canal be performed.This will resolve your acute pain. After this treatment,a crown lengthening procedure can be performed to surgically trim the bone and gums. Once this is accomplished, there will be adequate healthy root support for a post, core and crown. A root canal should be performed before this is attempted.There are some additional considerations before performing a crown lengthening procedure. These include your overall periodontal{gum and bone status), length and width of the remaining root for restorative considerations.
Other treatment alternatives could include tooth extraction and placement of a fixed bridge, or an implant. Your dentist should review all these alternatives with you. This is important before beginning any treatment.My recommendation is to seek out a trained for Endodontist(root canal specialist) and Periodontist ( gum specialist)to evaluate your particular situation. They would be best able to provide treatment for your particular situation.If you proceed with all these procedures, they may even recommend a Prosthodontist( specialist in advanced restorative procedures).If you are unable to locate these specialists' where you live, you could try to go to a dental school for care. There are faculty in each of these trained areas that could give you the best advice.Good luck with your treatment.

Dentistry

robert block