Dentistry/Extracting lower tooth

Question
Hi. When the tooth(molar near wisdom tooth) has sliver filling in it and tooth chipped on one side. Is it necessary to both remove jaw bone around the tooth and to cut the tooth in half in order to extract it?

Answer
Ellen -  if the tooth is above the bone and the tooth is chipped, there should be no reason to remove bone around the tooth.  As far as cutting the tooth in half, that may be necessary if the portion of the tooth that chipped makes it difficult to grab the tooth sufficiently to perform and extraction.  So it is a little difficult to determine what is the best way to extract the tooth.  Let me tell you that cutting the tooth in half vertically is usually a good way to extract a tooth if there is not enough to grab the tooth to extract it.

I hope this answered your question.  If not, feel free to get back to me.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired