Dentistry/Extracting lower tooth

Hi. When the tooth(molar near wisdom tooth) has sliver filling in it and tooth chipped on one side. Is it necessary to both remove jaw bone around the tooth and to cut the tooth in half in order to extract it?

Ellen -  if the tooth is above the bone and the tooth is chipped, there should be no reason to remove bone around the tooth.  As far as cutting the tooth in half, that may be necessary if the portion of the tooth that chipped makes it difficult to grab the tooth sufficiently to perform and extraction.  So it is a little difficult to determine what is the best way to extract the tooth.  Let me tell you that cutting the tooth in half vertically is usually a good way to extract a tooth if there is not enough to grab the tooth to extract it.

I hope this answered your question.  If not, feel free to get back to me.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude