Dentistry/Post Root Canal

My Granddaughter is 22, High Functioning Autistic.  She had 3 root canal's performed on Tuesday.  Today is Thursday, she has been in tremendous pain and using pain meds prescribed by the Dentist.  Her face is now Huge as are her lips, she has so much swelling and cannot close her mouth all the way.  She had to be put under as much as possible without the use of gas, as the DDS didn't use it.  She is terrified, what can I do I think she needs help.

Hi Patty,

I'm so sorry to hear about your granddaughter. It sounds like she has developed an acute infection. She, at least, needs to be on antibiotics, but as swollen as she is, I would suggest that you call your dentist ASAP and get her in to see him/her. Sometimes it is possible to make a small incision in the area to allow drainage to occur. This is truly an emergency, so please deal with this as soon as the dental office opens.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD

I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.

25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.