Dentistry/root canal

Question
dear dr Thomas

hello dr robert,

I had root canal on my lower 2nd molar...my dentist said I don't need a crown now that my tooth is still strong... am still having pain on the tooth so I might still need to do another root canal on the same tooth...
my question is ..if I did second time root canal on the same tooth...will the tooth be more fragile to break if second time root canal is done on the tooth?

Thank you

Answer
Hello Jill,

I am happy to give you my opinion.  firstly I think that after this tooth settles down and is not painful you should still have the crown placed on the tooth to protect it.  The answer to your question is if the dentist does not remove more tooth structure in redoing the root canal then the tooth will be in the same condition as before.  If there is more tooth structure removed to redo the procedure then the tooth will be weaker after it is complete. I hope that helps you.

Dr. Karmen

Dentistry

Thomas Karmen